Sugarless gum can help clean teeth. In fact, sugarless chewing gum can be good for your oral health. The benefits that the saliva created by chewing can wash away harmful debris and bacteria, as well as dilute any acidic residue left behind from foods and drinks. Although regular gum can also help our bodies create saliva, the addition of sugar in the gum can create a hostile environment, which can lead to tooth decay. Below are a few additional facts about sugarless gum:
– Sugarless gum can also prevent heartburn. This is beneficial because the acids in your esophagus can damage your teeth.
– Be sure to choose sugarless chewing gum that has been awarded the American Dental Association ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can fight cavities. The chewing gum itself doesn’t fight cavities, but the act of chewing increases saliva flow.
– Sugarless gum increases saliva flow, which washes away food and other debris. Saliva also neutralizes acids originating from harmful bacteria and can provide disease-fighting substances to combat threats with the mouth.
– Sugarless gum helps after meals, but it is not a substitute for brushing and flossing.
Sugarless gum should not be used if you experience any tooth sensitivity or jaw pain.
If you would like more information, or if you would like to make an appointment with Dr. Randall L. Farmer & Isabelle M. Farmer, please contact our fantastic staff here at Houston smiledocs by calling us at 713.784.6855. You can also stop by our dentist office in Houston, Texas. Be thankful for your smile, visit us today!